Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Final Project Concept

For my final concept, I've decided I want to go in the same direction I went with the digital analog digital assignment, bringing animated characters into real space. However, this time around, instead of using a still image, I want to use actual video. The characters will be the only things animated in this real space and these characters will follow a short simple story I plot out. The story will have no dialogue, only sound effects.

The plot will be somewhere along these lines:

The short starts out with a female character...


(Not the final sketch but close to it..a rough design)

She's out in town creating chaos as usual when suddenly she spots a "wanted" poster that has her picture on it for being a town nuisance. As she sees it, she attempts to tear it down and believes herself to be successful until she sees the walls filled with hundreds of the posters as she walks down the block. 

In her attempt to run, she collides with a security guard. The security guard helps her to her feet but because of her "wanted status," she quickly runs away. This is when the guard realizes something is amiss and begins the chase after her. 

They run through different areas of Memphis in a short montage of scenes.Once she finally thinks she has gotten away, she is startled by the fact the guard has caught up to her. She then surrenders after becoming tired of such a long chase until the guard simply tells her is was chasing her for the sole purpose of returning her dropped wallet. Dumbfounded, the girl wanders off in a daze, relieved to get away free.

Sometime later, while the security guard is on break and eating, he realizes the poster with the picture of the girl he let go on it. Realizing his stupid mistake, he angrily runs off to find the girl again.

**I don't know if I entirely want to use this exact story. I might change it a bit according to the feel of the story later. I want the characters to be really comically animated in their expressions while also having a simple story.

8 comments:

  1. I like this idea. Though I think the security guard should be the only one clueless about her wanted status. I say she could know about it, like she could be disguised and on the run and she hits this police officer who has no idea who she is despite all these posters plastered with her face on it. To me that would make the security guard a little more comical like those really dumb ones on Looney Tunes cartoons or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea, and i love the drawing of the character. My only concern is if the work is a narrative that you can break it down into scenes, so that it can have several points where it is finished. I think having small goals and finding finished parts as good stopping points will keep in a good place with Jill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its a good story line and is well thought out. I think it would be a good thing to have some sort of sound effects as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jett that having small goals for this is probably a good idea. The way I'm reading this description of your final project idea seems very ambitious. I like the idea of bringing your character into real Memphis photos though, and that you're thinking about using sound effects. But again, just make sure this project isn't overly ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like this story starts off with no backstory so we might be clueless of what's going on. What kind of chaotic things is she doing in the beginning? I feel like this story needs a better conclusion. I think you will be good at making a running scene because of that parkour piece you made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the stuff said above. There needs to be some character establishment in the beginning that lets us know she's some sort of mischief maker. I don't think you need the ending scene with the security guard realizes his mistake. The conflict is over when he ironically gives her the wallet. The rest is just aftermath that we don't need. And that means less for you to do so you can spend more time with the quality of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want this character to have a reason for being a nuisance like maybe she steals money and then when she runs away and the security guard realizes his wallets missing. I think something like a simple climax in the story will aslo help simplify the whole story line and also give more depth to your story. Or like in last class, you could have these mischievous animated characters who have come to our dimension to give the 3D world hell. That way its even more simple and you could still have images of memphis with the animated characters in it. It could even be a series of different scenes or pictures with the same character in each one.Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of the mischievous girl running around town destroying things. Maybe you could develop her character more and show how she gets on the wanted posters. she should do something big to get people fed up.

    ReplyDelete